We all hit that wall when working on our blogs…we sit down to write and nothing comes.
My suggestion to new bloggers is usually to write down all your blog categories on a piece of paper. Then list at least 10 ideas under each category heading. That way when you’re stuck, you can always refer back to that list. (Of course if you’re anything like me, you’ve forgotten where you put the list! LOL)
Anyway, I went looking around on the web to see if there were any good lists of popular blog topics out there and came across a great one over at Dummies.com called Mom Blogging for Dummies Cheat Sheet.
Their list is really meant to help people decide what niche or topic their entire blog could cover, but it’s a great list of ideas to refer to when you’ve hit a slump.
- Academics and education: Adult education, campus life, classroom resources, colleges and universities, curriculum, education reform and political action, elementary education, history, home schooling, homework help, librarians, literature, mathematics, multicultural, reference, research, special education, vocational
- Animals: Animal rights, breeding, animal videos and photos, pets, species, research
- Arts and entertainment: Acting, anime and comics, architecture, artists, art culture, books, creative writing, dance, gaming, kids’ entertainment, movies, photography, poetry, reviews, television, trends, visual arts
- Business: Advertising industry, careers and jobs, CEOs, coaching, copywriting, design, entrepreneurship, home business, human resources, marketing, outsourcing, business product reviews, project management, public relations, reference, research, sales, small business, training, unemployment
- Communications/personality: Advice, debate, humor, multimedia, photo blog, podcasting, video blogging
- Computers: Online child safety, hardware and software, privacy, security, tutorials
- Crafts: Crochet, beading, ethnic crafts, fabric arts, glass arts, home decorating, jewelry making, kids’ crafts, knitting, leather work, mosaic, needlework, craft patterns and downloads, paper crafts, pottery, quilting, scrapbooking, sewing, soap making, spinning, stamping, weaving, woodworking
- Environment: Activism, eco products, environmental education, global warming, green living, industry, nature, natural baby resources
- Events: Conferences, event planning, local, party planning, recreational events, seminars, web events, weddings
- Food and drink: Alcoholic beverages, baking, cake decorating, cookbook reviews, dining, entertaining, food critic, healthy eating, international food, organic cooking, recipes
- Health/well being: Addictions and recovery, allergies, alternative health, breastfeeding, dieting, disabilities, diseases, fitness, gluten-free living, healing, infertility, life coaching, medicine, meditation, men’s health, mental health, personal care, pregnancy, psychiatry, psychology, public health, stress, suicide prevention, women’s health
- Home and garden: Antiques, construction, entertaining, gardening, holidays, home decor, home repair, homemaking, landscaping, kitchen and bath, organizing
- Industries: Advertising, agricultural, architecture, automotive, broadcasting/media, finance, government, health care, industrial, investing, law and legal, packaging/paper, property management, publishing, real estate, textiles
- Internet: Blogging, Internet marketing, programming, social networking and social media, search engine optimization, web design, web development
- Music: Artists/bands, awards, composition, genres, history, instruments, lessons, lyrics, notation/chords/tabs, regional, reviews, news/gossip
- Personal: Advice column, children/teens, family, journal, life transitions, parenting, personal development, relationships
- Politics/government: Civil rights, commentary, international, legislation, lobbying, local politics, military, peace, presidential studies, terrorism, war
- Pop culture: Beauty, celebrity, entertainment, fashion, gossip, popular brands and products, television shows, trends
- Religion/philosophy: Denominations, ethics, history, metaphysics, schools of thought, spirituality
- Science: Anatomy, anthropology, archaeology, astronomy, biology, geology, oceanography, physics, research, zoology
- Shopping: Books, cameras, clothing, coupons and discounts, children’s products, fashion, fine living, gadgets/tech, gifts, home decor, office, reviews
- Society/culture: Adoption, charity, civilization, community development, controversy, criminal justice, death, ethnic issues, family issues, feminism, genealogy, LGBT, men, mythology, rural living, seniors, social security, suburban living, violence, volunteering, urban living
- Sports/recreation: Competitions, gaming, hobbies, individual sports, leisure, martial arts, memorabilia, motorcycles, Olympics, outdoor recreation, physical education, pro sports, racing, sporting activities, sporting events, sporting goods, sports role models, team sports
- Technology: Cameras, companies, computers and tablets, electronics/gadgets, engineering, innovations, mobile, networking, news, tech companies, technology entrepreneurs and thought leaders, tools
- Travel/places/local: Budget travel, camping/RV living, destinations, family travel, international, local guides, travel photography, vacation planning
The page I found this list on also has a great list of ad networks to help with monetization and some sites to help you figure out if anyone is scraping your content (copyright infringement). Definitely worth bookmarking!
So, be sure pin this post so you have it to come back to when you can’t find your blogging mojo!